Sunday, July 20, 2008

Broadcast Yourself... but not with FLV

Richard and I have uploaded 29 Bits of Blender. This weekend we did two more and tried to upload them. Using the same preset I've use for all of them, I found that YouTube was giving me an error "Failed (unable to convert video file)". After some trial and error, I found out it was the FLV format that YouTube is choking on. This is the format Adobe Premiere Elements 4 uses to upload to YouTube and what we've used for all our previous Bits. Why it stopped working, I've no clue. But YouTube will not accept a FLV today whether from Premiere or through the browser(I tried it both ways). I exported a WMV from Premiere and then uploaded through the browser and that worked, but is lower quality. I exported a MOV using H.264 at best quality it also worked, but it too was lower quality. I hope YouTube fixes this problem in short order.

2 comments:

  1. I've uploaded 70 videos successfully using the Adobe Premiere Elements 4 upload to Youtube feature. No problem whatsoever until... July 18th when it repeatedly gave me an error message. I still can't get it to upload, even older videos that had previously uploaded with no problem. As you did, I tried to use the upload button on YouTube but that didn't take the PREL format. It did accept the MWV but that version didn't have my subtitles so that doesn't work for me. Like you say, I guess we have to wait until YouTube fixes the glitch. Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm following threads on Adobe and YouTube message boards. I'll do another blog post when (if?) it is resolved.

    ReplyDelete