Thursday, August 28, 2008

Logic Bricks


My latest CartoonSmart.com lesson was just released today, it is called Logic Bricks. In it I cover the fundamentals of doing interactive 3d in Blender. No programming is required! Learn about Blender's visual programming using Logic Bricks. Quickly create complex interactions. Detect keyboard input, changes scenes, move objects, use the physics engine for gravity and collisions, use properties, sound, animate in real-time using IPOs and Actions, also learn about linking files (as opposed to appending) and the Discombobulator script. And the Blender Basics mouse makes a return (but this time in real-time)!

Prerequisite knowledge
Having worked through the Blender Basics Package or equivalent experience.

Version
I got a question from one of my students regarding versions of Blender. The Logic Bricks lesson was created using version 2.46. Version 2.47 of Blender was just released as well, should you upgrade? With a lesson, I think it is always best to work in the same version. I just got a look at version 2.47 and it looks like they added functionality to the Logic Bricks. To avoid confusion, it would be best to stick with 2.46 for the lesson.

Thanks
Thanks to Mitch Lopata for letting me use his space ship to illustrate linking (and having a cool example).

2 comments:

  1. Hey John! I really, really liked your tutorials at CartoonSmart.com and have missed seeing them. I got really excited for the first few lessons because they came out almost every month so I assumed that it would continue that way! But alas we haven't seen you since, what, August? Are you going to have any more tutorials? Please consider it! They were really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind remarks, you made my evening! Your assumption was reasonable because I hoped to keep them coming every 4-6 weeks or so.

    The short of it is my day job got super busy for several months. Things are more reasonable now and I am preparing a new lesson!

    ReplyDelete